Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Welcome To The Hottest Club In Town

Wow, what an explosive week this has been and we’re only half way through it! North Korea apparently successfully tested its first (if not second) nuclear device. For some reason, this has generated a lot of press. In many of the stories I’ve read, there is a mention of North Korea joining the “Nuclear Club.” I’ve never heard of that club before so I did a little of my hasty research and wanted to share it with you.

The Club (as I’ll refer to it) is about as exclusive a club as you can join. There area very few select members and to gain entry, you have to have nuclear capabilities. So naturally, this is one club that you are not easily kicked out of. After all, if you possess nuclear weapons, chances are no one is going to approach you and ask you to turn in your key to the clubhouse, so to speak. The members are the US (club founder and I presume President), Russia (second to join and by longevity and sheer warhead numbers, VP), Britain (very few estimated warheads, but as America’s buddy, they get to be Club Secretary), France (Treasurer), China (Club member), India, (Club member), Pakistan (followed India in when no one was looking), North Korea (got in only because they figured out the secret knock) and possibly Israel (they say they are a member and as I already mentioned, this is a club with credentials you really don’t want to question).

It nearly killed me, but I was able to get my hands on a pamphlet for the Club. Except for the fact that half the Club hates each other and the US and Russia have a love hate relationship, the Club looks like a lot of fun. There are pools, tennis courts, an 18-hole Arnold Palmer designed golf course with the world’s largest sand trap (courtesy of repeated underground atomic testing) and the obligatory 50,000 square foot nuclear research facility. I hear the food is excellent though and they play bingo every Wednesday night.

The odd part about the Club is that most of the members don’t usually pal around together so the clubhouse is usually as empty as the Big Brother house during its last week. Hey, there’s an idea if anyone from CBS is watching (or Saturday Night Live, if you take it to the other extreme). Since it’s hard to top Big Brother All-Stars, why not Big Brother – Nuclear Style. The members of the Nuclear Club could all be sequestered in the same house for several weeks and one by one vote each other off. Wouldn’t the alliances be great? Something tells me that America and Britain would form an alliance on day one and get everyone voted off but France and then ultimately betray and evict France. When all the former “house guests” return for the final vote (assuming they all didn’t nuke each other), Britain would be voted the winner since everyone hates America. OK CBS Network President Les Moonves, I can be contacted via the email address located under my links list…

So the Nuclear Club has another member. Whether or not Kim Jong Il chooses to take advantage of the Club’s perks remains to be seen. The bottom line is he and North Korea have joined the Club and now no one can take away their membership. I guess membership truly does have its privileges, especially when that privilege is the ability to wipe your real or perceived enemies off the face of the earth. When I get a little older, I’ll just follow in my Grandfather’s footsteps and join the Elks Club, thank you very much.

9 comments:

Odat said...

Will "nuking" my dinner allow me to enter this club?

I'll bet if they were all in a big brother house, somebody may just do that but it won't be dinner!

Great post!
Peace

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

would connie chung have her famous camel toe? (see i'm sot too old to learn a new word?) that in itself could deter kim.....bee

C... said...

You know what they say about men who compensate with large impressive and excessively powerful weapons, it's a minute detail though.

Ra Ra said...

geez... way and give away the entire season of big brother!

Ian said...

"Well first we got the bomb, and that was good, 'cuz we love peace and brotherhood...

Then Russia got the bomb, but that's okay, 'cuz the balance of power's maintained that way..."

Bonus points to anyone who picks that quote...

Ian

mist1 said...

Sweet, I wanna be down with the Nuclear Family.

ian: "The Bomb"

ShadowFalcon said...

North Korea

Lions and Tiger and Bears...


I guess its cos Kim Jong Il is Ronley

Unknown said...

I just feel sorry for the poor guy that had to light the fuse on their test bomb. I hope he was able to climb up the rope out of the hole fast enough.

Later yall.....

Anonymous said...

A fantastic blog. Keep it up.
just visiting my site
Parisj Van Java
Anti Virus Protection
YankTech
New Anti Virus
Anti Virus Info an Virus Remover
Brontok Information
thanks.