Sunday, October 22, 2006

Respost Sunday: If You Like Elton John, You’ll Love William Shatner…No really!!

I rerun some of my older posts on Sundays as a way to highlight stories that you may have missed. Just think of it as 'thought recycling' and a day off. This was originally posted August 22, 2006. I was sending this to a friend yesterday and was reminded how cheesy it was and wanted to share it again. Enjoy the cheese!

A few weeks back, I posted a story about the worst music video I may have ever seen, although I still thought it was catchy. I didn’t think it was possible, but David “The Hoff” Hasselhoff has been topped. The depths of entertainment got even deeper while I was watching Comedy Central’s roast of William Shatner. They showed some of his musical clips and through the never ceasing wonder of the internet, which I shall henceforth term Wondernet, I can share it with you. It is William Shatner’s rendition of Elton John’s Rocket Man, and believe me, using the word rendition is being very polite.

The performance was done at a 1978 science fiction awards show hosted my Shatner. I hope to high heaven that this video was done tongue in cheek! Any credence it might have had as a legitimate muscial number was helped by the fact Bernie Taupin, the song’s writer, introduced the performance. When watching it I could almost swear I heard the audience beginning to laugh as they did not know what they were witnessing, but Shatner kept a straight face. He did laugh a little at the end suggesting it might have been done as a joke. If it wasn't meant for a laugh, Captain Kirk takes himself way too seriously.

TJ Hooker (or Kirk or Shatner, whatever you prefer) was known for his spoken word “interpretations” of songs like “Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds” and “Tambourine Man” but there were some neato special effects that accompanied this unique star ship wreck of a performance. It features two digitally super imposed Shatners singing with the real one. This was before the weight gain and toupees, so it’s easier to tell which one of them is real. It was also long before anyone knew what digital special effects were so it made it that much easier to spot which were the super imposed versions, too. The low point, or comedic high point depending on your preference, is at the 3:50 mark. Trust me, you’ll know what I mean.

Although I am embarrassed to say it publicly for the first time since the 8th grade, I was a big Star Trek fan. Every episode of the original series and every movie are familiar to me. But, just as I dissed The Hoff, I must now bow my head in shame at Shatner’s performance. To say he boldly went where no one has gone before (which I have to do because this post is about William Shatner) is a big understatement. He went way past where anyone had gone before and where no one will try and venture to again.

For anyone wondering if there is a singing course taught at the often referred to William Shatner School of Bad Acting, the answer is a resounding: yes…there…is…

11 comments:

Lee said...

I saw this too! I was literally cringing in embarassment. Hard to say if he's just got this great sense of humor and isn't afraid to look silly for a laugh OR just has an ego the size of Texas and thinks it's "art." I hope it's the first one!

Foofa said...

I saw it and loved it. Not because it was good, it was just that funny.

Anonymous said...

And where was Mr. Shlock when we needed him?

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Lovely post, Michael. I haven't seen the video, but Shatner's ego has always been much greater than his talent.

I can't believe Bernie Taupin introduced him. That is highly weird, indeed.

Odat said...

I read this one already..ha ha ha....can you publish my old comments please? Thanks!!!
Peace!

Pickled Olives said...

I LOVE William Shatner, and I HATE his music.

He has a posting on itunes that has all his music. Very bad and very funny at the same time.

mist1 said...

I never watched Star Trek. Not even when I was in college and only had class two days a week and had nothing better to do. Not even when I discovered that it came on after 90210. Not that I ever watched 90210 either. Seriously.

Jo said...

My crummy old computer wouldn't open the video link. My computer managed to delete one of my posts yesterday too. Time to upgrade.

I always cringe a little bit when I see William Shatner, though. I could never take him seriously. Well, he and I are both Canadian, so I'm allowed to do that. I hope I'm not offending anyone, but I feel that way about Celine Dion as well. It's that Canadian thing. You can see they both feel self conscious about it...Hah.

Cheers,
Josie

Sara's Varolo Village said...

I wish you'd stop picking on 'The Hoff." I have memorized all of the words to "Jump into My Car" and frequently sing the girl parts along with the video.

Some people have no taste.
Sara

Michael C said...

Lee: As awkward as it is to watch, I repeat the aggressive Rocket Man chorus he does late in the song often ;-)

Natalie: Glad you enjoyed it

Flip: I think Mr. Schlock was doing his own album if I remember correctly.

HeartsInSanFran: Yep, Mr. Taupin introduced him...and then probably ran out of the building screaming

Odat: Yeah, I should do that. I don't remember what you said but am pretty sure it ended with 'Peace' - or something like that ;-)

Pickled: I'll have to check that out!

Mist1: I believe you, no really.

Josie: Yeah Shatner and Celine have really suffered both financially and mentally ;-)

ChiefMommy: I'm sorry. I'll admit that Jump in My Car is very catchy. Knight Ridder was one of my favorite shows and I actually got to sit in one of the KITT cars once. I promise to leave the Hoff alone. Did you know that it's a remake of an Australian version?

slaghammer said...

You have nothing to be ashamed of. Captain James Tiberius Kirk of the Starship Enterprise is no more the yoink in that music video than Marlon Brando is the atrophied mass of coagulated organ meat that he appeared to be in the Island of Dr. Moreau. Star Trek is only the most well loved schlock ever to be gifted to humankind. I’m no Treky, but I still pause my channel surfing every now and then when I catch a glimpse of Kirk laying it on nice and thick.