Friday, August 25, 2006

Raise A Glass Milwaukee, You’re America’s Drunkest City

Forbes.com has released the results of their quantitative search to determine America’s Drunkest City. I’m sure all of my fellow Americans are appreciative of their effort just as I am. Of all the possible things to rank our major cities on (like lowest crime, most industrious, most populous, highest salaries, most Fred Willard fans, etc.), they decide to find America’s Drunkest City. Yeah, let’s publicize that to a world that already hates us and thinks we’re lazy.

In addition to being the home of the Milwaukee Brewers, the mayor of the city can now add being the drunkest place in our country to his cap. I bet the chamber of commerce is going to have a field day promoting their new honor. I hear they are acting to change the official city song to “There’s A Tear in My Beer.” What a great travel campaign they can now use. “Come drown your tears in Milwaukee, where you’ll never drink alone. It’s been proven, scientifically.”

To find our drunkest city, Forbes.com says it examined cities based on the following factors: state laws, number of drinkers, number of heavy drinkers, number of binge drinkers and alcoholism. After weighing all 35 cities chosen and all data collected, Milwaukee was the foam that rose to the top. Minneapolis-St. Paul (another party hot bed), Columbus (are you kidding me?), Boston (I can kind of understand that), and Austin (everything’s bigger in Texas) round out the top five. From these results, it appears that the mid-west is a lot more fun than originally thought.

Of course, Milwaukee was once the brewing capital of this country so on the surface it is not a stretch to believe that it could be America’s drunk capital. However, of all the breweries that once called Milwaukee home, only Miller remains. Come to think of it, maybe that’s why everybody’s drinking…to drown their sorrows.

8 comments:

[] said...

Thank goodness Steve Forbes is covering this stuff! This, from the same guy who brought you the ever-scientific "Married Career Women are Unhappy!" study.

Odat said...

Wish I were 21 again..I'd be moving there!!!!! (oh wait, I am!...lol)...I'm going!

Michael C said...

Odat, enjoy the trip...remember, you can also stop in Texas, Minneapolis and Columbus on your way ;-)

GaffLady said...

i could of swore i lived in the drunkest city! maybe we got second...

Mark Irish said...

Thanks very much for the compliment, I'm glad I made you smile. Good luck with your blog too!

Unknown said...

Beer, Beer, The wonderful slush,
The more I drink the more I blush.
The more I blush,
the better she looks,
but if I was still sober, I'd say oh gadzooks.

Beer, making sure ugly people everywhere have a chance to get lucky.

By the way.... my word verification was XMBSH. Finally got one with five and Now I have the urge to listen to the president on satellite radio.

Later Yall.....

Parlancheq said...

Boston feels rather slighted to have not come in better than fourth place. We demand a recount!

Michael C said...

I too thought Bean Town would have finished higher. Must've been those hanging chads. Well, there's always next year!