Saturday, November 18, 2006

Things I Learned This Week: 11/18/06

Because I want to spare you from experiencing some of the things I endured over the last few days, I post “Things I Learned This Week” each Saturday. It’s educational, sometimes insightful and always pathetic. I hope that at least one item on this list will make your upcoming week much easier. So here are the “Things I Learned This Week” for the week of 11/12/06-11/18/06.

! I learned that it’s not a good idea to begin a discussion about workplace respect and tolerance with my coworkers by saying “I just want to be upfront and tell you that I am guilty of everything we are about to discuss.” It’s not as disarmingly charming as you might think.

! I learned that when I am trying to convince my 4-years olds to ride the Haunted Mansion while at Disneyland that it’s best to omit the word ‘haunted’ and ‘ghosts’ from my description of it.

! I learned that when buying lunch for a client it’s important to wait until after everyone has ordered to inform them that lunch is on me.

! I learned that even though I am virtually 100% sure I know the next answer of my coworker’s computer training lesson, I should not swear to my coworker that the answer is ‘D: All of the Above.’ Especially when the correct answer ends up being ‘B.’ I’ve discovered that it’s those types of interactions that tend to lower office moral and respect…oops.

! I learned that no matter how excited I am that the local Los Angeles adult contemporary radio station has started playing 24/7 Christmas music, not everyone may share my enthusiasm and according to my coworkers, apparently my radio does have a control to lower the volume and I should be using it more often.

! I learned that no matter how important I think the weekend finale of the NASCAR season is; to my daughters it will never be as important as whatever cartoon, movie or children’s DVD that I had to turn off to watch the racing. I hope it isn’t situations like these that get one branded as a bad father.

And lastly,

! I learned that no matter how much fun it is to have them participate, never ask your 4-year olds to help you pour a new bag of Rice Krispies into the cereal bowl. To them it’s about as difficult as trying to fit a bowling ball into a Dixie cup.

2 comments:

Odat said...

LOL ...and i just discovered that there's Christmas music on one of my radio stations too!!!!!!!!!!!
aarrgghhhh toooooo sooon....i don't want to get sick of it by christmas...
Poor lucy and ethel, having to endure your Nascar over their cartoons!!!!
Peace

Billy said...

I love Tony Stewart. Who do you follow?