Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Oh Fudge! He Bought The ‘Christmas Story’ House.

Why watch a movie scene when you can own it? Who ever thought that when E-bay opened its doors (their virtual ones, I guess) that people would be buying parts of famous movies on it. That’s exactly what a man did with $150,000 dollars. He bought the house in Cleveland where Ralphie and his family lived in the movie “A Christmas Story.” It’s sure to become a cult destination and presumably all the Bumpus’ hounds are long since dead, so it’s probably a pretty safe investment. It opened for tours this past Saturday and the same gentleman bought the house across the street to be used as a gift shop and museum. The story gets better, the man also makes and sales his own leg lamps. I guess in a weird twist of fate the lamps based on the ‘major award’ that graced the house’s front window in the movie partly financed the purchase of the house itself. Only in America folks, only in America.

It’s one of my favorite movies and if you’ve never seen it, you should. It’s on DVD and TBS runs a 24-hour marathon of it every Christmas Eve. Personally, my family got so sick of me trying to sneak it on TV by changing the channel every time someone left the room on Christmas Eve that they just broke down and bought me the movie to shut me up (ha, the joke’s on them because it didn’t work). You could almost say that just trying to get it on the TV for everyone to see became my own personal Red Rider BB Gun quest. I like to slightly annoy the family by wearing my ‘you’ll shoot your eye out’ t-shirt on Christmas Eve for family pictures and I have a miniature leg lamp ornament that has its own special place on our tree (thanks Carlton Cards and your ornament makers). I’ll admit though that it does take a little creativity explaining to Lucy and Ethel (my twin youngins) why there is a fishnet stocking leg on our Christmas tree. Fortunately, it’s one of those explanations that can begin with the phrase, “when you get older…”

I guess it’s true when they say that there are some real bargains on E-bay. Wouldn’t it be neat to get to buy a piece of movie history? I think it would be a lot of fun owning an iconic home. You could stand in the driveway and wave to the people who drive by just to see it. Houses that come to mind are the Cunningham’s house on ‘Happy Days,’ Archie Bunker’s house, the beautiful home from the Steve Martin movie ‘Father of the Bride,’ (I actually know where that one is) and of course the Brady’s home on the Brady Bunch. By the way, did you know that the 'Brady' home is not a two-story house? Boy can they work wonders in Hollywood.

Of course, even though the houses may be iconic, you’d be in a little trouble if they weren’t so easily recognizable to others. Then you’d be stuck with a home you bought at an over inflated price because of its supposed fame. If that happens, don’t dare think about sticking a tacky sign up in the yard that reads, “Stop here – former home of the Cunninghams on ‘Happy Days.’ Photo ops only ten dollars.” That would be sure to tick off the neighbors. If you were going to live in one of them, tours would be out of the question, too. The family wouldn’t take too kindly to strangers traipsing in and out of the house throughout the day. I can see it now for poor little Suzy. Every time she’s in the shower, one of the tourists needs to use the guest bathroom downstairs and when the toilet is flushed, she is scalded.

So now, in addition to blogging, I’ll have to keep my eye on E-bay in case a famous house is put up for auction. I’d pursue Beaver’s house on ‘Leave it to Beaver,’ but that’s only a fake house on the Universal Studios lot. Hopefully Sheriff Andy Taylor’s house from ‘The Andy Griffith Show’ is real and will be auctioned off soon. The only problem is that the show was in black and white. Does anyone know what color it really is? I’d hate to bid on a house from a black and white television show and end up winning a house with purple trim. Maybe I’ll hold out for Graceland or that big house the President is always landing his helicopter in front of. The name of it escapes me at the moment. If it has enough room for a helicopter, I’m sure it has ample room for a bounce house. Hopefully they take Pay Pal.

12 comments:

Dan said...

Not a bad deal, except for the fact that the damned house is in Cleveland of all places!

Cleveland! Ugh.

Lizza said...

Tell me if you ever get Graceland. I'd like to know whether Elvis' grave is empty or not.

mist1 said...

There was a movie filmed in my townhome. I don't like to talk about it very much though.

Odat said...

I'm waiting to bid on the Yellow Brick Road!
Peace

Foofa said...

I couldn' get anything worth anything in Chicago for 150k. Then again, I woulnd't have it to put down allat once either.. The point is it seems like a steal to me.

Reel Fanatic said...

Is that lightpole he gets his tongue stuck to still there? If so, I'd be in

Michael C said...

Dan, I've only been in the Cleveland Airport so I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with the city to say anything...although if I'm ever there again, I'll be stopping at the Christmas Story house.

Lizza: If I ever get Graceland, you and I will be the first people checking out his grave!

Mist: What movie was it??

Odat: If you get the road, I want to skip along it while Elton John sings good-bye to it! ;-)

Natalie: Here in southern california, iy would be a steal too.

Reel Fanatic: My friends would get sick of me trying to get them to stick their tongue to it ;-)

Jo said...

Michael, did you know the Beav's house is actually one of the houses they now use on Wisteria Lane in "Desperate Housewives"? Yup, it is.

You know the house I would like to buy? The house in "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House" with Cary Grant. It's an ancient movie, but the house would still be gorgeous today, furnishings and all. It's amazing

Lee said...

Ooohhh I'm in for the Brady Bunch house. Can't get enough of that fake wood paneling. And maybe Alice will come with it!

Michael C said...

Josie: The Munster's house is also on Wisteria Lane..what a crazy neighborhood, huh? I'll have to check out the Cary Grant movie house.

Lee: Yep, the house now has an ugly white wrought iron fence if I remember correctly. Alice would be a great add in. ;-)

ShadowFalcon said...

Alas I've never seen this movie or even heard of it, will have to rent it

Unknown said...

I wonder if someone will want to by my house after my blog hits the big time. Might have to start putting pics of it up just to stir interest.

Dang I might be on to something here. Maybe I will post it on Ebay and see if I can sell it now. Better not though, the landlord might get a little pissed.

Later Y'all