Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Let’s Be Honest

Thursday is National Honesty Day. No, I’m lying. It’s actually today. See what I did there? It’s just a little honest humor. Honestly, National Honesty Day is today. What kind of person would I be if I lied to you about National Honesty Day? If you play it straight and honest just one day this year, surely it will be today, right?

As usual, I’m not sure what the best way to celebrate National Honesty Day is. I’m thinking it does involve a measure of oh, telling the truth? Even if the girl in the cubicle across from you asks what you think of her new hairdo inspired by Prince and Tina Turner (that would be purple and sticking out all over the place for anyone currently suffering from Mental Imagery Deficit Disorder), you can’t tell her how good it looks just to avoid hurting her feelings. I realize the moral dilemma with this, but it is National Honesty Day. Perhaps your best response to this should be to tell her to ask you tomorrow. Don’t give her a reason, because most likely it would involve you lying. Just simply ask her to ask you (I realize that’s a lot of asking) about her hair tomorrow, when it isn’t National Honesty Day.

Since today is National Honesty Day, I probably shouldn’t ask you if you like my idea of trying to get the phrase ‘excuse me, but I have to go x-ray my chicken’ to catch on. It was inspired by a real life conversation with some friends of mine and it seems like such a good alternative to saying goodbye or coming up with an excuse for why you have to leave. I’ll pose the question to you again later in the week so I can get your un-honest opinion. I feel like I should insert a winky smiley face after that last sentence for some reason, but saying winky makes me blush, so I won’t.

It seems that a day about honesty would be a good day to come clean about things that I may have been less than honest about. As embarrassing as that may be, I have never come across a holiday I didn’t celebrate, except for any holiday honoring tall people (no offense) or holidays that slander Barry Manilow. That’s just unacceptable. I guess the first thing I should be honest about is that I really, really like The Ray Conniff Orchestra and Chorus. The Conniff love started early and innocently enough as I grew up with their Christmas albums being played in the house. Then, I started seeking out his music on my own so I really can no longer blame the folks. There is just something about a bunch of men and women singing a slightly elevatorized version of the biggest hits of the 50s, 60s and 70s that makes me happy, dare I say, giddy. Don’t knock it until you’ve heard them sing such gems as Gloria Gaynor’s ‘I Will Survive’ or Gordon Lightfoot’s ‘Sundown’ or even Paul McCartney’s ‘Live and Let Die.’ Then, you can knock it, because I know the temptation to do so will be immense. Honestly (again, it seems saying that should be followed by a winky face).

I should also be honest and say that I still wear Hawaiian shirts even though they appear to have gone out of style in about 2002, if you use Target’s clothing racks as an indicator of fashion, which I do. If you are over 50 and drive a PT Cruiser, they MAY still be in vogue, but neither of those criteria fit me. Either do the jeans I had in high school, but that’s really not important to this discussion. I’m just being honest. I wish the Hawaiian shirt would come back into style because I have so many of them. Perhaps if I threw more BBQs I could get to wear them more without feeling the social awkwardness that comes with being a thirty-something wearing a Hawaiian shirt to a cool hang out (which for me is someplace like Chili’s).

One more thing I would like to be honest about is that I recently used what I believe is an ‘imitation’ cheese product instead of the real (and delicious) deal when I was making a quesadilla at home. I know, I know. The horror, the humanity, the absolute degradation of my morals and values. I am a cheap, slimy rat-like creature that hangs out in the bottom of portable toilets at county fairs and other public places where extra temporary rest rooms are a necessity. Before you judge me though, I want you to stop and realize two things. 1: I had the guts to be honest about it and 2: I have a very nice smile and am good with old people and little kids. Well, let’s make it three things. 3: I was with Ms. I Want To Go To Mime School and we were at the local 99 cent store and thought that a dollar was a great price for pre-shredded bagged cheese.

Honestly, it never occurred to us to look at the package to see if it actually was a cheese product. In fact, had it not been for the fact that IT WOULDN’T MELT, I never would have had a reason to look at the package. Apparently, she experienced the same thing when she cooked with it. Seriously people, who the heck makes a heat resistant cheese-like product? Having cheese and not melting it is like having an entire container of new Play-Doh and not sniffing it. Well there ya go, I just honestly shared another thing. Yep, I am a Play-Doh sniffer. I can’t get enough of its doughy, salty aroma. Yes Lucy and Ethel have caught me PD sniffing twice, but I don’t care because the aroma is so dang intoxicating!

Well, I’ve run out of things to come clean about, honestly. No if you’ll excuse me, I have to go x-ray my chicken. See, it works almost anywhere!

13 comments:

Cass. Just Curious said...

I'm going to try to not be too honest today....I won't be revealing any fake cheese consumption that's for sure.

Arwyn Skye said...

Okay, fake cheese??? I didn't even know that was possible other than in playdoh or kids kitchen sets. Who makes cheese that doesn't melt!! What the heck!! Okay I think I'm now officially horrified. Was that enough honesty?? Cuz not like I go around being a big liar head (as my 3yr old neighbor would say), but sheesh...the boss is in today!!! *L*

Melissa Maris said...

This week I told someone I couldn't come to her wedding shower (this would be the second one for me to attend) because I had other plans. The truth is, I didn't want to buy another gift. Even though it is National Honesty Day, I will not be telling her this...

I want to know what the fake cheese tasted like.

longredcape said...

The Play-Doh remark made me snicker.

Isn't Play-Doh smell the BEST?

Sizzle said...

Cheese products like that scare me. I mean, it wouldn't melt! What do you think went into it to make that happen?

Aack!

cmk said...

Not only are you a master at using a questionable holiday as the basis for a post, you also have mastered the art of the segue! I love the way your mind works.

Patti said...

You should post a picture of yourself in a Hawaiian shirt, wearing sandals with socks. You could keep it anonymous by just using the photo taken from the neck down.


Honestly, a funny post.

Like cmk, I also love the way your mind works.

Rebecca said...

NEVER buy ANY dairy products from a 99 cent store! It's just wrong. 8-\

Michele said...

Cheese that doesn't melt, that was purchased from a dollar store? And you ate it? Have you no fear?

I love the smell of play-doh! Oh well as long as we are being honest, tires too! I love walking into a tire store. That first sniff is pure goodness!

Anonymous said...

Let’s Be Honest

Let's Not And Say We Did!

xxoo

Anonymous said...

Fat-free cheese doesn't melt either. I think they make it out of hard plastic.
Hey, don't knock all imitation cheese products. Velveeta is a little slice of heaven on a macaroni noodle!

magickat said...

THESE POSTS ARE WHY I READ YOUR BLOG!

You are completely cuckoo. LOVE IT!

magickat said...

And it is a sin to make something that looks like cheese but doesn't taste or act like cheese. There should be a special prison for that.