Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah

It’s another useless and quite possibly anti-real holiday Thursday (Hi Kat, sorry). It’s not everyday that we get to celebrate bogus holidays (when you count yesterday’s 3 celebrations ) during back to back days. Well, that’s excluding Christmas Eve and Christmas (I get my birthday on the 24th and then Christmas on the 25th. It’s ok; you can go ahead and write my birthday down just in case I forget to give it to you again. Though that is as likely to happen as it is having photos of me wearing a sombrero and hula skirt dancing to ABBA hits surface on the internet).

Today is Blah Blah Blah Day. I had my own idea regarding what the day celebrates, but it’s a good thing I went ahead and looked it up. I would have assumed (and no, assuming does not make me an ass, it makes me a motivated go-getter for postulating a theory without adequate information. I’m a trailblazer, if you will) that it was just a day where we are supposed to go around saying lots of meaning less things like blah, blah, blah, yada, yada, yada. And I gotta tell ya, the prospect of spending an entire day (especially while at work) just walking around getting to say ‘blah times three’ in response to everybody was really twitter-patting. Yes, I know it should be ‘titillating,’ but I blush and then start giggling whenever I have to say that word, which as you can probably imagine, is not very often. After discovering what Blah Blah Blah Day is really for, my twitter-pattingness decreased exponentially, which is science speak for ‘a whole lot’ or in some regions, ‘a bushel’s worth.’

Through my dogged research and hunt and peck techniques – and a little something called Google (don’t worry if you haven’t heard of it, it’s kinda new), I was able to find more about this holiday so that I could share it with you. It turns out that Blah Blah Blah Day is for getting all the things done that people have been bugging you about. Now see, that’s going to involve some work and let’s face it; if people have been bugging you to do something, it means you haven’t done it yet, although you probably should have and you are putting it off for a reason. Not a lot o’fun there, I’m thinking. Reenacting the bloodiest battle of the Civil War using Fisher-Price’s Little People? Funtastic! Doing chores and other annoying things that require effort you would rather devote elsewhere, like towards eating cheese or staring at a wall with textured surfaces? Not fantastic.

It seems that’s what this holiday is all about, Charlie Brown (to butcher slightly paraphrase one of my favorite all-time TV specials). Has your boss been on you to get that report done (I won’t hold it against you if it’s actually your fault because it’s overdue)? Were you supposed to clean out the gutters about 13 weekends ago? Forget to pick your child up at soccer practice this afternoon? Well ok, that one is nag-worthy, but you get my point. I guess we are supposed to make our lists of undoneables today and turn them all into doneables so that we can avoid being the recipients of blah blah blahings. And no, you don’t need to read that sentence again because I assure you that it really was written in English.

Wait, wait, wait, all these chores and crossing things off lists does not sound like fun. I have now completely lost any excitement I had for Blah Blah Blah Day. And let me tell you, I was mighty excited. We’re talking ‘I began The Happy Dance’ excited. That feeling of good well and yes, even a touch of merriment, is done now. In fact, I no longer wish to write about Blah, Blah…actually, I don’t even want to finish typing it. You can nag me about it, but I’m still not going to finish typing it!

So now, I am left having made a big deal out of a holiday I don’t plan on celebrating. Wow, this is awkward. So very awkward. ‘Carrying on a 30-minute conversation with someone (yes your new neighbor) after he has introduced himself and then having to ask his name again at the end of said 30-minute conversation’ awkward. Really awkward. I’m really wishing right about now that Blah Blah Blah Day WAS about just walking around saying ‘blah’ to finish my sentences. I could certainly use that conversational avoidance technique right here. Yeah, I’m done.

14 comments:

sari said...

I hope my husband doesn't hear of this holiday, he's got a pretty big list of things for me to do.

Sunshine said...

I pretty much think if a holiday doesn't have a corresponding Charlie Brown special to go with it, it doesn't exist.

Just sayin...

Anonymous said...

I have so many things that need to be crossed off the list that I need a week, maybe even a month of blah, blah, blahing. And what is this Google you speak of?

Patti said...

I also have a long list like Selma's. I keep putting things off. I bad.

Can't wait to see what tomorrow's holiday is. ;-)

Anonymous said...

"and no, assuming does not make me an ass, it makes me a motivated go-getter for postulating a theory without adequate information. I’m a trailblazer"

HA HA HA HA...Yes you are!


----------

I do not like Blah Blah Blah Day. I am not motivated to finish any sort of project or chore...Cant it be Wear Your Pajamas Day EVERY DAY?

chefmom said...

I'm sorry...I read the whole psot and all It said was "blah, blah blah." ;)

Foofa said...

Blah Blah Blah day sounds horrible. plan instead to devote my day to putting off the celebration of Blah Blah Blah day.

Momo Fali said...

Everyday is Blah, Blah, Blah Day at my house.

Nikki Neurotic said...

I think my mom's celebrating that today.

Dr.John said...

I applaud your research on blah, blah, blah day.The world needs more people like you taking the fun out of things for the sake of truth. I was lucky I got in seven sets of blah, blah, blah before I read your demented post. Now I have to quit and get to my to do list.

Amy said...

Is it tomorrow yet?

Did you really forget your kid at soccer practice?

Michele said...

Good thing I didn't read this any earlier or else I would have had quite a few chores to do. Pheew! That was close.
Though I did accidentally manage to get one thing done, so I guess that can count as my contribution for celebrating this very blah times 3 holiday.

Melissa Maris said...

Contrary to Michele, I wish I WOULD have read this post earlier so I would've been prepared for the buttload of blah blah blah that was dumped on my desk today. Apparently everyone else at my office was celebrating...

Odat said...

I know you typed a really good post hear, but all I saw was blah, blah, blah, blah, blah........ ;-)
Peace