Sunday, April 27, 2008

When Duck Doesn’t Really Cover It

My friends, ‘technically’ I am writing this from the great beyond. There is a belief at the moment that I am dead. Like right now, while I type this. I know, it’s all spooky and stuff, huh? It sounds shocking, but I apparently perished in an unfortunate emergency of some sort or another that was very nondescript in its nature but ‘should’ have involved ducking under my desk.

I say ‘should’ have involved ducking under my desk because well, I didn’t duck or cover or even cower for that matter. For the record, I did squat but apparently in the case of this emergency ‘drill’ squatting doesn’t amount to, yes you guessed it, diddly. Oh crap, I meant to say ‘squat’ but I messed up the punch line again. Death makes it pretty hard to concentrate. You see, I was caught during this untimely and unfortunate emergency of some sort another that was very nondescript in its nature but ‘should’ have involved ducking under my desk (I guess I could have just said ‘drill’) in the hall speaking with another coworker. Well, that’s what I hope people think. In reality, I was doing a dance from the 60s called ‘the pony’ while waiting for a fax to go through to try and break up the morning monotony. Ok, I was trying to do ‘the pony,’ but I fear it came off more like ‘the donkey’ or more to the point, ‘the drunken jack ass.’ Sadly, I did not make it back to my desk in the allotted 30-seconds that work believes is long enough to reenact the unfortunate emergency of some sort or another that was very nondescript in its nature but ‘should’ have involved ducking… drill. The closest I got was squatting in front of my desk, which made me feel kinda weird because squatting just doesn’t seem right in public.

So, long story short, my safety warden told me I was dead. As the drill occurred at the end of the week, I am wondering if I should not bother reporting to work on Monday. Or, perhaps I should go to work to see what they are saying about me. Since I’m dead, no one will see me, recognize me or have anything to do with me. I guess it truly is ‘A Wonderful Life,’ except whenever I hear a bell ring; another HR rep is getting their wings…at my expense.

I gotta tell you, I never got to see that bright light at the end of the tunnel that everyone talks about. I did hear Don Pardo introduce me, but since it was neither a Saturday night or 11:30PM and I could plainly see Liberace pointing at me and laughing while holding up a salmon colored, diamond studded fur coat for me to try on, I’m assuming I missed heaven by a couple of exits. Oh wait, that was the dream I had last night after eating at that ‘B’ rated Chinese take-out place. Mental note: Female Coworker was right; only eat at places that get an ‘A’ rating. The after life looked a lot like my office cubicle. No light, no tunnel, just cubicle walls. Friends, I must’ve ended up in hell and to make matters worse, the heater is on.

There was so much I didn’t get to do in my life. Yep, I had a list and yes, I am going to share it with you. I was going to take out the trash, call the doctor about that thing on my eyelid, get more Englebert Humperdink on my Ipod, edge the back yard, wait, sorry, wrong list.

There were several bloggers I wanted to finally meet, get picked to feed Shamu during the Killer Whale show at Sea World, overtake Oprah or Rachael Ray as the Queen of All Media (wait, that didn't sound the way I wanted it to), get the gopher that has tormented me for 4 straight summers, finally beat Lucy and Ethel at a board game, write a sitcom that involves the ghost of Cub's broadcaster Harry Carey, open a restaurant, rent a karaoke bar out for just me, my friends and family one night and get to read the Top 10 List on Letterman. I also wanted to do the weather for the local news show dressed in a plaid sport coat and Bermuda shorts, establish a professional BBQ Team (called the Midnight Smokers), cook an egg on the sidewalk in the middle of the summer, be mistaken in public just once for John Wayne, get through work one day without causing a 'situation' or 'HR reportable event' and play ATV Polo. I really wanted to legally change my name to Calhoun C. Callahan, but I’d have settled for the other stuff on the list.

Now all those wishes have been dashed. And for what? A silly dance in front of the fax machine because I was bored and whomever I was faxing had a busy signal. Damn that unfortunate emergency of some sort or another that was very nondescript in its nature but ‘should’ have involved ducking under my desk.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what would have made this post perfect? A YouTube clip of you doing the pony in front of the fax machine right before your unfortunate demise.

Anonymous said...

Death by pony. It happens more often than people think. I've heard the macarena and the hustle are also silent killers.

Foofa said...

I never really thought that ducking under a desk would save me from something that not ducking under a desk would kill me instantly. I could be wrong though. I figure you had a good chance of being maimed rather than killed.

Anonymous said...

Can I have your computer? I mean, now that you're dead - you don't really need it. Oh, I'll take the IPOD too... ;)

Anonymous said...

you need a scanner up in that office. Scan and Email attachment. Faxing was over in the 90's....

I LOVE your wish list of things you wanted to do before you died.

But since you are 'dead' you definitely do NOT have to go to work on Monday....or ever again.... Or at least until they get a scanner

Melissa Maris said...

Did something nondescript actually fall on you and crush your skull? Because unless it did, I think squatting is just as good as being under your desk. If it was a spear or a head-severing laser beam or something, I'll bet you evaded it just fine...however if it were a falling boulder, you'd definitely need to be under your desk...

You don't happen to work for the U.S. government do you?

Patti said...

I also loved your list of things that you wanted to do before you, gulp, pass...

You reminded me of that old TV show, "Topper" with this post.

If only you had worked in Lawrence Welk it would have been perfect. ;-)

Dr.John said...

As one who has been dead a couple of times welcome to the club. You should have ducked under the desk. I should have gone to the Doctor sooner. But death comes you know.Now sit down an write your obituary.