Thursday, April 17, 2008

More End Of The Week Randomocity

Curiosity may have killed the cat, but randomocity isn’t even a real word. What? Well anyway, we’ve made it to the end of the week, unless you work during the weekends, which makes today Sunday night, maybe? Just as you clean your desk off at the end of the day (unless you want your boss to think you’ve been really busy), I am clearing out my mind at the end of the week and this is what I came up with…

* It occurred to me the other day that I am now past the age that they stop singing about in the Beach Boys’ song ‘When I Grow Up To Be A Man.’ I am now 2 years past the last age they mention (and I should mention that you have to turn the volume up very, very loud during the fade out to even hear the last age they mention). I’m not sure how I feel about this. Maybe you female readers feel the same way when you hear ‘Girl, You’ll Be A Woman Soon’ after you have become a woman? For clarification purposes, I mean ‘becoming a woman’ in the age sense, not in the bow-chicka-bow-bow sense because that’s really none of my business.

* I have finally decided that there are really only 2 types of people in this world: those that think Paul Simon and Chevy Chase’s video for ‘You Can Call Me Al’ is the funniest music video of all time including any video that may ever be made from this day forth and those that do not. Yes, I am in the first group. At parties in high school, a friend and I would routinely perform our version of it, provided of course that a performance of ‘You Can Call Me Al’ still constitutes a party…

* Being bored is a state of mind. Being bored in the boardroom is not. It’s called work or possibly being held hostage. OK, I have to admit that all flowed a lot better in my head when it first came to me in the shower this morning. I’ll keep working on it…

* Things always seem better when in the presence of bacon, but they still won’t let me cook it at work. And no, Baco-bits do not serve as a good substitute in these instances. I have tried, oh Lordy how I’ve tried.

* I wish more songs used the phrase ‘tenement slum’ in them. That’s why The Supremes’ ‘Love Child’ is such a great and snappy tune. A real pick-me-up, if you ask me! Though I am still trying to figure out what the heck ‘Stoned Love’ means. I don’t want to get all biblical here, but where I come from, stoning most certainly does not equal love. That reminds me of a useful tip I’ve been meaning to share: when you get in early to work, do not ever stand up, dance around your cubicle to ‘Stoned Love’ while singing along with the background ‘ooh, ooh, oohs.’ Invariably, someone else will also show up early to work and then wait until lunch to tell all of your coworkers what they witnessed even after they promised you they wouldn’t.

* I can’t wait until I’m an old man. Then, everything I say will just be overlooked and ignored instead of it getting me in trouble all of the time. I think being irrelevant is going to work out quite well for me.

* Without even realizing how loud I was speaking, I blurted out ‘I don’t know how you all work 8 hours a day’ the other afternoon. I don’t recommend doing that.

* I recently asked Ms. I Want To Go To Mime School if she had heard back from the mime school she applied to not long ago. She told me they said they were interested but then never called her back. To make her feel better, I told her that they did call her back, but she just couldn’t hear them because they mimed it. It didn’t make her feel any better. It sure lifted my spirits though.

21 comments:

Sizzle said...

Ha ha ha- ‘I don’t know how you all work 8 hours a day’ - that is SO something I would say but maybe not aloud.

And being bored in the boardroom is inevitable AND a hostage situation!

C said...

You know someone who wants to go to mime school and you're still on speaking terms? You are a better man than I. Well, that's a given. Person, I mean. I think you should continue to heckle her as much as possible to help toughen her up. It's a hard world (TWSS) out there for a mime.

Patti said...

I saw that coming, but laughed out loud anyway. They called your co-worker back but she just couldn't hear them. ;-D


This is scary, I'm starting to think like you.

thanks for the Friday morning smile

Patti said...

P.S. I've never heard anyone say that they can't wait to be old..interesting.
You're right about the irrelevant part. You will be able to sputter all day and no one will give it a second thought.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to be old either. I'm going to have purple hair and call everyone 'sonny' or 'young 'un.' And I'm probably going to behave inappropriately in public. Fun times ahead!

chefmom said...

I'm not sure it's a good thing that my son can do the "bow-chicka-bow-bow" Perfectly? I thank the chipmunks movie for that. And the last piece about Ms. I want to go to Mime School, had me in tears. I would have laughed, if you had said it to me!! But Mime laughed, ya know, not out loud.

Cass. Just Curious said...

I have to say that the "I can't believe you people work 8 hours a day" line made me laugh out loud.

I catch myself doing that all the time....I have a problem with Friday afternoons. I work a lot of hours all week and I do some spot work on the weekends but I am not physically capable of working a Friday Afternoon. It really goes against any and every fiber in my being. It's only a matter of time before someone catches on.

longredcape said...

The 8 hours a day thing made me LOL too. Ew, I just used internet speak.

Lyrically, Love Child is absolute genius. I get happy when it comes on the radio.

magickat said...

Ha. I love your remark to Ms. I Want To Go To Mime School. That's pretty darn funny.

Also - I agree about the Baco-bits. Back when I ate meat I loved bacon but couldn't ever understand how anyone thought that the bits ever tasted like the real thing. They never did to me.

Foofa said...

I always thought Stoned Love was about people who smoked reefers and screwed.

Michele said...

Ha! You made me giggle. Loudly. :)

I always loved that video, especially the bits with Chevy, and every time I hear the song, (which isn't as often as I'd like), I always act out the scene with Chevy and Paul doing the head bobbing thing. Wait does that make sense?

Anyway cheers to you, it's finally Friday! For me it's Saturday. :)

Oh and the bit about working 8 hours a day? Priceless.

Melissa Maris said...

Have you tried cooking the bacon the night before?

I'm a big fan of BLT sandwiches, and I've found that throwing extra cooked bacon in a zip lock works pretty well if you want a BLT two days in a row. It's cold, but it's still bacony good.

Expat No. 3699 said...

Hey there, found you through Selma. Your comment about working 8 hours a day made me laugh. Especially because it's Friday afternoon and I'm doing everything I can to look busy. Actually, according to Wellcat's holidays, I shouldn't even be at work today! I should be laying around and licking myself...nevermind.

Linda~

Amy said...

I remember working a 'real job' and I would sit at my desk around 2pm on Fridays wondering to myself...what the heck can I do? I think Friday's should only be a half day.

Have a great weekend!!! Go to Huntington Gardens in Pasadena...it is gorgeous there and I miss Socal!!! (just in case you're looking for things to do!) :)

Sunshine said...

My inlaws grew up in Motown. When I first knew them, they had the song Love Child come on in the car and were singing it at the top of their lungs. So, yes, quite weird and interesting to watch two older, affluent white people sing about the "tenement slum".

C... said...

I love that you said "how everyone could work 8 hours a day" - I recently realized I was the only one working 8:30 to 5pm in my office - everyone else was doing 9 to 5 so now I am working 8 to 4. Yeah baby!

Janna said...

Good luck with becoming an old man.
Though I'll probably always think of you in your mid-20's.
I dunno why.
Just because.

My great-grandmother used to say that the best thing about being really old is that you can fart whenever you want and no one ever says anything.

Or, at least, if they DO, you can't hear them anyway.

Odat said...

I love reading about office stuff....brings back memories.....hehe.
Peace

Momo Fali said...

Your posts make so much more sense after my third glass of wine! This made complete sense...it wasn't random at all!

Anonymous said...

So I'm confused. In one asterick, you mourn your decrepitude and in another you talk about waiting to be an old man.

Which is it? Decrepitude? or not?

Anonymous said...

* Being bored is a state of mind. Being bored in the boardroom is not. It’s called work or possibly being held hostage."


AGREED! xxoo