Monday, November 19, 2007

Oh My God, They're Turkeys!!!!

I posted this last year and I think I'm going to make it my Thanksgiving blogging tradition to post it each year. Why? Because it's such a great Thanksgiving moment...and yes, I'm very lazy.

I cannot enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday without remembering possibly the single funniest moment (at least for me) in television history. Of course I am speaking about the famous 'WKRP' In Cinncinati turkey drop. The episode was called “Turkey’s Away” and originally aired in 1978. For me, the staples of Thanksgiving have now become turkey, can-shaped cranberry muck, pumpkin pie and this WKRP episode. Perhaps the only other Thanksgiving television episode that comes close is the ‘Cheers’ Thanksgiving food fight.

It is uncommon for me to talk to someone who doesn’t remember part of that episode. Each year morning radio DJs all over this country will invariably refer to it or play a clip of it during their day before Thanksgiving radio show. A co-worker heard it again on one of the local stations this morning. The segment where WKRP’s reporter describes the Thanksgiving Day promotion is absolutely hysterical and invokes memories of older historic radio broadcasts. Perhaps the most memorable line (although there are many) from that episode is the vivid description ‘they’re hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement.’ That’s usually the line most often repeated by DJs. As the radio promotion from hell unravels, Les Nessman even compares it to the Hindenburg tragedy.

Most of us can be thankful on Thursday for many, many things. Some of them are big and some of them are not as monumental. This 30-minute episode of television reminds me that one of the things I am most thankful for is our ability to laugh. So, whether you are traveling or preparing the big holiday meal, take five minutes to relax and enjoy this gem from a Thanksgiving long ago (at least by TV standards). If you are stressed out preparing for the big day or just trying to get over the river and through the woods or over the highways and through the stop lights, watching this will definitely help you settle down. Enjoy…

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly." -I feel your pain, Mr. Carlson.

13 comments:

Odat said...

Hey, you watched this when you were like two? ;-0
I vaguely remember this. I'll have to go check it out....but if you say it's funny, it must be!
Have a happy Monday!
Peace

Carrie said...

A hahaha.

Happy American Thanksgiving!

Open Grove Claudia said...

Now how are you going to appreciate it when the next funny moment happens if you're living in the past??

Happy Thanksgiving Michael.

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving Michael.

And thank you for always making me laugh.

Anonymous said...

Nice post MC! I watched both of the clips and other than giggling I have to say I was in awe of how tight the pants were. Especially the cute guy holding the football. Wow. I miss this show.

The Exception said...

Happy Thanksgiving MC - and enjoy spending time with those girls... all of them!

This holiday, in your house, doesn't involve... cheese, does it?

Crashdummie said...

what are u trying to say mistah... turkeys cant fly?!?!

Tammie Jean said...

LOL! Great stuff Michael C!! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family :)

SleekPelt said...

Hi, Michael C. I followed a short trail somewhat randomly and it led me here, to a YouTube clip of perhaps the only WKRP episode I remember. Thanks for the cool memory -- I look forward to checking out more of your posts.

Airam said...

I hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

x said...

A meme await your attention at my site. I hope you are able to take part. Instructions included.

Dr. A said...

Still my fave WKRP episode -- ever! Happy Thanksgiving!

magickat said...

Yikes. I don't remember this at all. Does that lower my level of coolness?

There is talk that there is a Hitler Balloon for the Valkerie film that is going to be in the Macy's Parade tomorrow. Can you imagine?