Saturday, July 15, 2006

My Continuing Education At Kids B-Day Parties

This will be a short post tonight. Last week at a birthday party for our friend's 2-year olds, I learned about Diet Coke and Mentos.

Tonight at a birthday get together for a friend's 3-year old, I got an education about how to gesticulate your displeasure for another individual in at least 4 different societies. I was shown the British Way, French Way, Italian Way (I think) and of course the crazy upset American driver way.

I'm not sure if I will ever use any of these, but it's pretty neat what I have learned the last two weeks at such an unexpected place. I had always envisioned children's birthday parties being a lot of cake, presents, clowns and bounce houses. What I found instead is that they are a hotbed of discussion about topics not typically found at the office watercooler.

So the next time you want to amaze your friends in a Cliff Claven sort of way, wrap a present and follow the shrieking sounds of excitement to the nearest children's birthday party. Your friends and colleagues will thank you for it, or talk about you behind your back...

No comments: