Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Mid-Summer Classic

I was getting ready to write a blog about how boring most sports’ all-star games are. I was going to tell you that each sport’s supporting all-star weekend activities like the NBA’s Slam Dunk Contest and Baseball’s Home Run Derby are far more exciting than the actual games they are meant to supplement.

That was until the top of the ninth inning when the American League came back from a 2-1 deficit to take a 3-2 lead with 2 outs and 2 strikes on the Texas Rangers’ Michael Young. It disproves my theory about all-star games being sleepers and supports a long held belief I’ve always had about why baseball is such an exciting sport and deserving of being America’s National Pastime. Having tried to watch some soccer over the last few weeks of the World Cup, my appreciation of baseball has grown. With one swing of the bat, the entire game changed. The victory gives the American League 10 straight wins over the National League. The Nationals last won in 1996. That is so long ago that Clinton was still running the country. No, I mean Hillary.

Though tonight’s game had late inning excitement, I don’t know if it will truly go down as a Mid-Summer Classic. But then a true Mid-Summer Classic to me would involve a charcoal BBQ, grilled steak, lemonade, hammock, plaid shorts and no work!


By the way, if you’ve got any topics you feel should be blogged about, feel free to let me know. Sadly, it’s getting tough thinking of something new to write everyday. It’s probably I good thing I don’t get paid to write anymore. The again, maybe that’s why I don’t get paid to write anymore!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You got me - just wait I am sure that I will have something soon given your guys track record! LOL