Monday, July 24, 2006

Blogging Has Already Consumed My Life

Until I began doing it myself, I didn’t realize how popular blogging has become. I also didn’t realize how much time it can take up, which is why this little ditty is about how blogging has consumed my life. I haven’t even been doing this a month yet and most of my waking and non-waking hours (I guess that would be all of them) are spent on some aspect of my blog. If I was a famous novelist it might be ok, but I write 4 paragraphs essentially about nothing on a daily basis and fret over it 24/7.

At least I’m not alone. I read that the Surgeon General has lobbied Congress to declare the act of blogging to be potentially habit forming. The Surgeon General’s office estimates that every minute of every day one-third of our population is engaged in composing or reading a blog. The number of people thinking about a blog in the same time span is assumed to be equal to the populations of China and Needles, California combined.

My blog threatens to change the basic framework of my entire life. My workday is spent discussing either my previous post or potential new ideas with fellow co-workers. What makes that so pitiful is the fact that my workers don’t care about the blog’s content and 9 out of 7 co-workers polled didn’t even know I had a blog. Even more disturbing is the fact that the majority of those respondents have no idea who I am and aren’t sure why I keep showing up everyday.

At home, my 3-year old twins have stopped saying “hi Daddy” when they see me and now ask “watcha gonna blog ‘bout tonight Dad?” When my neighbor’s cat was accidentally run over last week, I got in trouble for taking pictures and pushing people out of the way while yelling “I can’t believe this happened tonight, I had nothing to blog about…until now, baby!”


If you are kind enough to still be reading this blog and contemplating beginning one of your own, take heed. I can no longer just enjoy or be affected by life, I have to approach it thinking about how it will fit into written form and whether or not I can find a cool little graphic to accompany it. Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Michael and I’m a Blogaholic.

10 comments:

Sandra said...

That was funny! You are defently out of control! Keep BLOGGING!

Michael C said...

Thanks! Although blogging will be the ruin of me!!

thethinker said...

It's nice to know I'm not the only one addicted to blogging.

pstvnrgy said...

The good news in... for some... this period of blogging intensity subsides. Although, you still think, "I should blog... what about?" And then you get excited when you find something truly blogworthy! :)

Michael C said...

You mean we're supposed to post something blogworthy? Uh-oh!!

Anonymous said...

Michael..

make that 8 out of 9.. I don't think I'll be around a p.c. for a week or so. Wait, that means I'll check your blogs about as often as I always do.. I can't just read one... The "ic" in me, needs more...

The Domesticator said...

Hi...came here by way of Dr. Anonymous. This post made me laugh out loud, mostly because I can relate all too well. Is that wrong? :)

Anonymous said...

coming out is indeed the first step. welcome to the world of blogaholics :)

Señor Enrique said...

hmLOL! How true it is!

Airam said...

Ha! I love this ...

Is it really true about the Surgeon General??

And that thing with the cat was so funny!