Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Lights Out For The Light Bulb

I know what you are thinking about that title above: ‘wow, that’s original. No brilliance there.’ Get it, brilliance? OK, never mind. Within the next few years, the light bulb will be phased out. We are talking about THE light bulb. You know, the one that Edison invented and the one that you are sitting under while reading this right now. Unless you are using some newfangled light source and then you are one of the ones to blame the death of the light bulb on…and you should be ashamed.

Think about the light bulb for a second. Did a little cartoon light bulb just appear over your head? OK, I’ll stop. Seriously, the light bulb is perhaps one of the most crucial inventions of the last 100+ years. Well, inside plumbing has its benefits, as does the deep fryer, but we wouldn’t even be able to see either one of them without the light bulb. Everything we do outside after dark or inside a building has been due to the invention of the light bulb. Surgeries, weddings, grocery shopping, cooking, dancing to the hits of Lawrence Welk (well, not me on that one per se) and the switching out of light bulbs have all been due to the invention of the light bulb.

Can you imagine our current way of life without artificial light? There would be no more night games in baseball or Monday Night Football. How would you find your car in the parking lot or light that Christmas Tree you should already have taken down? How would we read the 15 magazines that it seems like Rachael Ray is on the cover of this month? What would happen to the ‘how many (insert your own person group or enemy here) does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Folks, I am appealing to you to because this (just like a burnt out light bulb) needs to be changed. Is it really important that the light bulb is completely energy inefficient? Well, maybe, so let’s just ignore the fact that I brought that up. Is it time that we replace technology that has practically remained unchanged since the days of Edison? OK, again, probably not the best point to be arguing. Now you know why I did so poorly on my high school debate team. So bad in fact that I can’t even argue that point. Get it? Argue? Debate? Seriously folks, these are the jokes. It’s not a warm up. This is as good as it gets. Please remember to tip your waitress.

We cannot live in the dark. We need light in our lives. The mere fact that our leaders would even consider doing away with the light bulb is a shocking, scary thought. I am using this blog of mine to shed more light (hehehehehehe) on this very important matter. You need to write your local member of congress and urge them to stop the phasing out of the light bulb. We really don’t need to take such a dramatic step backwards. The mere fact that I even need to be writing about this issue shows what is wrong with our society today.

Oh wait, you mean they are only phasing out the incandescent light bulb in favor of more efficient kinds of lighting? Um, oops. How did I miss that little detail. Man, that kind of changes the story a little bit doesn’t it. Well then, please ignore everything you have just read. Wow, I feel like such a, uh ‘dim’ wit…


****I must post this disclaimer saying that if this is your first time to my blog, the posts usually aren’t this bad. Well, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Sundays aren’t too great, but I usually scrap something decent together on Tuesdays and Saturdays. Well, when I bother to post on Saturdays. OK, here’s the deal: if you come back, I promise the next post will be better. Slightly better. How about no worse than today’s. That’s fair, right?****

20 comments:

AndreAnna said...

"dim" wit? You are sad. LOL

And we haven't used a regular light bulb in years.. and haven't replaced the new ones yet!

Ladytink_534 said...

Lol. I still haven't switched to those new fangled contraptions!

chefmom said...

That was chock full o'hilarious! You really thought that one out....What a funny post!

Nikki Neurotic said...

I have a lot in common with the light bulb...let me count the ways...

uh, we were born in the same state?

Okay, that's all I got.

Ralph said...

Isn't it great that the government has lined the pockets of the 'poor' loght bulb makers like GE and Phillips...with no incandescent bulbs for competetion, the makers will only raise the prices of their bulbs by 10X, although the bulbs only last 5X more...

Michael C said...

AA: Well, you make a good case there. Perhaps I am wrong in holding onto the past ;-) Or something like that.

Ladytink: Me either!

Chefmom: Chock full o'hilarious? I LOVE that phrase!!! ;-)

Silver: All I have in common is that certain people want to phase me out, too. :D

Ralph: That's a scary thought. AA says that they last longer in her comment above, so maybe that'll save us a little dough.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Light bulbs were a cruel invention that led to many candle makers to be made unemployed. It also enabled us to work at night, work late, work overtime..and other crimes against humanity. Bring back the dark.

Patti said...

Those new-fangled bulbs are not kind to those of us trying to hide stuff on our faces ~ too revealing

brilliant post, though

Anonymous said...

This wasnt dim witted or dull at all? This was BRILLIANT post (as usual)....

But I too fear the world of all florescent lighting. I am toad-ily stocking up on REAL 100 WATT light bulbs. I mean I need good lighting for all the damn pictures I take.

Rebecca said...

The doing away of the light bulb is a horrible idea. The new bulbs that we're supposed to switch to all contain Mercury. So from now on if you but a light bulb we're talking some serious money (thousands of dollars) to clean it up, not to mention being fined by our wonderful government for polluting with the bulbs they're forcing on us.

CS said...

Plus, those new swirly lightbulbs are so cool looking.

Unknown said...

promises, promises, ROFL..... Interesting point of view.

Anonymous said...

It is very interesting for me to read the post. Thank you for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to this matter. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.

Anonymous said...

It is certainly interesting for me to read the blog. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to them. I would like to read more soon.

Anonymous said...

I'm the kind of guy who loves to taste fresh things. Right now I am fabricating my own pv panels. I am making it all by myself without the help of my staff. I am utilizing the net as the only way to acheive this. I stumbled upon a really brilliant site which explains how to contruct photovoltaic panels and so on. The internet site explains all the steps required to solar panel building.

I am not really sure bout how precise the information given there is. If some people over here who had xp with these things can have a look and give your feedback in the site it will be great and I'd extremely value it, cauze I really would love to try solar panel construction.

Tnx for reading this. You people are great.

Anonymous said...

BTW, buy GPS jammer to block all secret devices in your home or office.

Anonymous said...

nuhn/k

Anonymous said...

are you sure this is true because i am doing a projegt LOL

Anonymous said...

are you hot and sexy

Anonymous said...

Amiable dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.