Thursday, January 10, 2008

Time To Get Your Politic On, Baby

One of my favorite bloggers has done a few posts lately about her fascination and excitement with the launch of Presidential Primary season. She’s really into it. Oh yeah, I should mention that she is Canadian. That fact has got me thinking I’m not living up to my full potential or exercising my American rights with regard to politics. Let me explain in a little more detail. I hear the name Hillary and I think instantly of Sir Edmund Hillary, the first confirmed summiter of Mt. Everest. I hear the name Barack and think of lots of bun beds in a row. I know that’s ‘barrack’ but I can’t help what I think. If I could, I wouldn’t cry hysterically every time I sit down in my little cubicle or get goosebumps whenever I see the perfect cube of cheese arranged on a fancy platter (which isn’t near often enough, by the way).

I hear the name Huckabee and giggle like a 12 year old school girl, I hear the name Ron Paul and think of Pat Paulsen from The Smothers Brothers Show, I hear John Edwards and worry about Crossing Over, Gerald Ford and I think of Chevy Chase, Jimmy Carter and I think of the Planters Peanut Man (then I get hungry; it’s a vicious cycle). I hear George Bush Senior and I picture Phil Hartman in jogging shorts at a Mickey D’s. I hear the name Bill Clinton and I hear ‘bown chicka bown bown.’

Don’t get me wrong, I do enjoy American presidential politics and even minored in Political Science for a little while during college. It was only when I discovered that we weren’t going to be dissecting politicians and examining them under microscopes that I dropped the pursuit of that as a minor. People really need to be careful in the future how liberally they apply the word ‘science.’ Despite the context in which I think about politics and candidates, I would like to think that I have some political awareness. After all, I did meet Ronald Reagan 10 years ago and still consider that a life highlight; I’m finishing up a biography of him now and will be heading to his library early next month. I remember fondly the excitement I felt voting in my first presidential election when I was 18. So what if my write in candidate Joe Isuzu didn’t win. That’s a joke folks. I took my first election very seriously. I wrote in Magic Johnson.

In the past, I have started to get excited about the Presidential election in September or October. That’s the stretch run and when things get really interesting. Perhaps I should start paying attention earlier this time around. The California primary has been moved up to February from its old June date. That’s less than a month away. While this may not be the Golden Age of Presidential Campaigning (universally defined as the era where candidates’ fathers used the mob and Sinatra to win elections, one party broke into the other party’s hotel headquarters, Gary Hart posed for a photo with a hotty on his lap and Michael Dukakis drove a tank), but it is an unprecedented time in American politics. Especially for the Democratic Party. Seriously, they don’t have a candidate that invented the internet or married into ketchup money. Uh, what did you think I meant?

I don’t know that I’ll go out and volunteer at my local campaign headquarters, but I’ll certainly follow the nominating process and the news coverage of it much more closely as we head towards the big conventions this summer. As an American, it’s the very least I can do. I mean, who knows when the writer’s strike will end, right?

15 comments:

Airam said...

Politics just doesn't do it for me. Nothing good comes of politicians anyway. They always fuck you over in the end.

Anonymous said...

When it comes to anything related to politics I completely black out...."la la la la" I cant hear you.

Anonymous said...

but I still love you.

Michael C said...

Airam: So I guess that makes politicians in other countries a lot like the ones here then. ;-)

Meleah: Whew! Trust me, I'm no stranger to blacking out. Although my reason is more medically related and I don't get the joy of saying la, la, la. ;-)

Patti said...

I'm looking forward to watching it all unfold.

Anonymous said...

Michael, I think it's your duty to keep us informed about the politicians attitude towards cheese. You can tell a lot about a person by the type of cheese he/ she eats. How long they spend musing over the number of holes in a slice of Swiss or whether or not they let a camembert settle at room temperature before eating could mean the difference between winning or losing the election. Please keep us posted!

chefmom said...

"It was only when I discovered that we weren’t going to be dissecting politicians and examining them under microscopes that I dropped the pursuit of that as a minor." I am in tears! Who wouldn't want to disect a politician??? I also have to agree with Selma, could you do a little cheese research? I can't vote for anyone who wouldn't let the camembert settle to room temp! BTW, my cheese obsessed 2 years old tried to name my daughters indoor soccer team the cheese. The kids went nuts and the coach had persuade them that "the cheese" might not be a good name, because their shirts are blue....He was afraid they might stink. (Collective groan) ba dum bump! And I made those fancy cheese platters for years...big slabs of marble or glass, with mountains and sculptures of cheese..possibly a vision of heaven for a cheese lover.

Carrie said...

I have an idea Michael - hows about you and I get married; I can vote in the American election, and then we can have an annulment a la Britney Spears and all will be well?

(I too am Canadian and REALLY into the American elections; only because I lived in MD for 3 years)

C'mon - it will be fun!!

Michael C said...

Patti: It should be very exciting!

Selma: I think that's a great idea. Not uh, cheesy at all! Sorry,, had to! ;-)

Chefmom: Actually, that's a funny joke and The Cheese is a great sports name...or perhaps a good nickname. Perhaps I shall adopt it!

Carrie: Will that allow me to follow Canadian politics? By the end of the primaries, I might be looking for a new political system ;-) I forgot about Brit's annulment. Honestly, that might be the last sane thing that poor girl did...

Anonymous said...

mmmmmm. cheese.

brandy said...

Man. If only Carrie and I could vote...

Michael C said...

Meleah: Yes, cheese. It's so dreamy!

Bran: Here's the deal: you vote here and I'll vote there.

Patti said...

my daughter has T-shirt that says: Cheese is good.

She loves cheese as much as you, I daresay. ;-)

Carrie said...

So... is that a yes or a no?

Michael C said...

Patti: I need to see that shirt!

Carrie: Well, if it's going to be annulled anyway...
;-)