Thursday, May 22, 2008

Work Blogging…Yeah, I know, It’s Wrong And Stuff

I used to do a weekly Top Ten And A Half list each Friday and then got too lazy forgot to keep doing them. So, I am reposting one of my Top Ten ½ lists today. Please remember that I do a Top Ten ½ to avoid copyright issues and because back when I started this last year, I thought the extra 1/2 was clever for some reason. With age comes wisdom and both are now telling me it might not have been as clever as I initially believed. I'm pretty sure the inventors of the Edsel and New Coke know what I'm talking about.

As I sat in the office all day, I realized how much I miss blogging at work, and believe me, I used to blog a whole lot while in the office. I can say that now because I already got caught. I knew it was taboo to do so, but so is flaunting bad taste and we still have Paris Hilton walking around. So, I will dedicate this Top Ten And A Half List to:

‘The Top Ten And A Half Ways Work Is Different Since I Stopped Blogging There.’

11. I find myself gazing into my monitor dreaming about how many comments I have gotten or what other people have posted on their blogs. It’s a lonely, distant feeling.

10. I am apparently one of my office’s top performers.

9. It appears as though I have a new coworker – and he started back in November.

8. I am now forced to say ‘That’s What She Said’ to my coworkers because I can’t visit blogs and leave TWSS in other’s comment sections. They are not as appreciative of it as blogsville is. At least that’s what the lady from HR advised me. Well, that’s what she said any way.

7. Apparently we hold weekly staff meetings. Now I am wondering how many of them I missed. Or more importantly, why no one bothered to let me know about the staff meetings as they were happening.

6. I never noticed the phone in my cubicle. It rings, too. A lot. Too much actually, if you ask me.

5. For some reason I have three calendars on my drab cube walls and they haven’t been changed in 4 months. Oh man, did I miss a lame and questionable holiday again??

4. It turns out I sing very loudly while in the office and never even realized it. The fact that I don’t get requests should tell you how popular the singing is.

3. I wasn’t aware that every day I am required to be in the office for 8 hours – in a row.

2. My office computer can actually be used for something called ‘work tasks’ like email and document creation.

And the number one way that work is different since I stopped blogging there is:

1. In my at-work blogging stupor, I didn’t realize that a photo was taken of me while I was...


OK everybody, have a great holiday weekend and unofficial start to summer. I plan on grilling...the first person that ticks me off at work tomorrow. I'm kidding, I'm kidding. Happy Memorial Day Weekend!!!!

19 comments:

Eva said...

Ha! I love Top Ten and a half! Since I'm new, I never got to partake in the joys of this before. Yay for Top 10.5! Can I call it Top 10.5v2? Is that dorky? Wait, don't answer that.

*~*Cece*~* said...

I know I'd be way more productive at work if I stayed off the internet. Blogging, email and whatever else tickles my fancy that week. Oh yeah! Someone put a phone on my desk, too, one day. I wonder how long that has been there.

Michele said...

Can you believe my work made me stop blogging just so I could answer those pesky ringing phones? Like all day?
I find that to be some kind of rude.

btw don't forget the Indy 500!!

Dizzie said...

8 hours - in a row - daily???? That's news to me! Why, oh God, why???? :P

Patti said...

I work at home, so I get to blog anytime I feel like it.

I don't make much, but I have tons of fun.

;-)

have a grillicious weekend, Michael

Anonymous said...

Insert photo of Michael....

...picking his nose

...laughing at his own jokes

...scratching his man area

...counting to 10.5 on his fingers

What?

Anonymous said...

I never blogged at work, because it would have been impossible to corral 30 8th graders AND blog about it. So I've always been a home blogger. However, I imagine that if I worked in a cubicle with internet access, I wouldn't be very productive.

Hilda said...

Hello...

Poultryboy over at Pheasantly Fascinating (http://poultryboy.blogspot.com/) recommended you Blog, so I checked it out...I liked it so far.

I think I'll sit and stay a spell and add you to my Blogroll...:)

Happy Grilling!

Just telling it like it is said...

Awe work is just never the same if you can't blog..
I would protest ...
I would object..
On the basis that you get much more work done while getting in touch with your creative juices...
hey it couldn't hurt right?

Anonymous said...

This was funny then.....and somehow funnier NOW.

I completely *relate*

Rebecca said...

Haha, how timely for me to read this repost.

Today my work internet stopped working, and I had to ask IT for help... apparently I had TOO many Internet windows open and my work firewall thought I was getting a virus.

One would think that'd be enough to stop me... but no here I am blogging.

Wait no, scratch that whole comment - I WOULD NEVER NEVER EVER blog at work!! ;-)

Happy Rockin' Friday!! :)

Rebecca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TroyBoy said...

A cubicle? What's that. My desk is about 2 feet deep by 4 inches wide. It's on casters (okay, wheels; it's on wheels). My chair rolls up to it, it's also on wheels - hence the rolling and my desk seperated from my neighbors on either side by a whiteboard 6 feet high by 4 feet wide, and yes, it's also on wheels. Just one long fake cubicle-type wall with all of us staring at it. There is absolutely no privacy. At lest the wall isn't on wheels. But anytime they feel my worth is, well, worthless, all they gotta do is unplug my network connection and roll the whole damn thing out of the building. So, no, I don't blog at work; well, not much anyways.

Dizzie said...

You still haven't answered my question, which was - 'why?'...

:)

Dizzie said...

You are amazing!


...you know that?

Anonymous said...

Wow... I wondered why you were so productive at work. Could you now promise not to make the coffee anymore?

Unknown said...

I'd get so much more blogging done if I could do it at work.

Melissa Maris said...

Days without blogging at work make me feel very empty inside. Like someone removed my spleen. That is why I am catching up on your posts at 11:00 on a Sunday night...my week just hasn't been the same without them!

Anonymous said...

I'm not allowed to blog at work either. Sometimes it's frowned on if I spend too long in the restroom. It's crazy. I mean, where am I living - Stalinist Russia?
Have a brilliant long weekend!