Wednesday, February 14, 2018

They’re Playing Our Song???

Maybe it’s because I still have a little Valentine’s Day spirit left or maybe it’s because I just listened to some great (although 40 years old) music, I wanted to share with you some toe-tapping ditties that REALLY makes the listener take notice on this day of love…
For the record, I love all the songs I’m going to talk about! Really!!

Love Child by the Supremes
The title is enough to make hearts swoon. And when you hear the line:
I started my life in an old, cold, rundown tenement slum
 you’re humming along!! I think I’ve written about this song before. Who doesn’t like a love child?


Alone Again, Naturally by Gilbert O’Sullivan.
Where to begin? The name of the artist. He should be headlining around the world!! I should mention when I was little boy (yes, I listen to Gilbert and his chart topping compadres when I was little) I thought this was solo record by Paul McCartney—which made it even better. And who doesn’t like to dance to
In a little while from now

If I'm not feeling any less sour
I promise myself to treat myself
And visit a nearby tower
And climbing to the top
Will throw myself off…
I don’t even dance and I want this song to be played everywhere I go!! Such a great song!!


Superstar by the Carpenters (Ok, really ANY Carpenters song)
It sounds by the title like Karen would be singing about how great it is now that she’s a superstar. There’s the rub. She actually missing someone who became a Superstar. Don’t we all know that feeling?! And the way the backup singers (also Karen) sing the “baby” melts my heart. With lyrics like:
Loneliness is such a sad affair

And I can hardly wait to be with you again
What to say to make you come again?
Come back to me again and play your sad guitar
It really makes you want to see him come back. Only problem is: he didn’t!


Silence Is Golden by The Tremeloes.
This is such a great mid-60’s hit by an English group. Wow, that was a pretty generic description. But nothing is generic about the upbeat lyrics!!
Oh don't it hurt deep inside
To see someone do something to her
Oh don't it pain to see someone cry
How especially if that someone is her
Silence is golden
But my eyes still see
Silence is golden, golden
But my eyes still see
 This song has it all!! The very definition of a chart topper with upbeat words like: hurt deep inside, pain, cry, and silence. How did Lawrence Welk never do that song on Saturday nights?


We Just Disagree by Dave Mason
This is THE sound for happily married couples. With lyrics like:
So let's leave it alone, 'cause we can't see eye to eye
There ain't no good guy, there ain't no bad guy
There's only you and me and we just disagree
Who wouldn’t want to see that in a Valentine’s Day card? That’s pretty much all I need to say about We Just Disagree. Hey, I rhymed!!!


Yesterday’s Gone by Chad and Jeremy
A very upbeat song by the Bristish Invasion group. A side note: Chad was one of the British vultures in The Jungle Book. Nothing like looking back on lost love which is pretty much all this song does.
I loved you all the summer through

I thought I'd found my dream in you
For me you were the one
But that was yesterday and yesterday's gone
Seriously, the beat is so catchy I wish they had more yesterdays to bid adieu to!!


I Go To Pieces by Peter and Gordon.
Another song by a 60’s British Duo? Yep!!!! Peter Asher was the sister of Paul McCartney’s girlfriend for most of the 60’s—which again made it better. With lyrics including “die” it was destined for glory!!
I go to places we used to go

But I know she'll never show
She hurt me so much inside
Now I hope she's satisfied
And I, go to pieces and I want to hide
Go to pieces and I almost die
And a line about come-uppance, I hope she really is satisfied!!


I could go on and on, but I’ll stop here. Actually, I’d like to include in this list pretty much EVERY Elton John ballad. Granted I’m still pretty unsure of the meaning of most of them but with titles like “I Guess That’s Why They Call It The Blues,” Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word,” and “That Train Don’t Stop There Anymore,” (which obviously isn’t about a train stop) he could be the master of “feeling the love ditties!!!”

*****Also there are some noteworthy titles I’ll probably tackle next Valentines Day.
Suicdie Is Painless – The orginal title of the M*A*S*H Theme Song
and
I’m Not In Love by 10cc – I don’t what they drinking but the doctor to give me 100ccs of it!!!


Seriously though, have a great Valentines Day!!!

No comments: